A Valley News Publication

Dan Billin is giving the presentation at the Enfield Community Building at 7 p.m. From today’s Valley News:

The story of the short-lived and ill-fated Noyes Academy — an integrated school that opened in Canaan more than 120 years prior to the Little Rock Nine, in 1835, only to be destroyed months later by an angry mob that dragged the building a half-mile down the road from its foundation — is one that history has largely forgotten.

Read more here.

Mikel Wells’ 1999 painting, “Destruction of Noyes Academy,” which is owned by the Canaan Historical Society. (Courtesy Canaan Historical Society and Mikel Wells)