We received word today from Bob Ammel‘s daughter, Kylie Young, about a Youth Day scheduled for Maxfield Sports Complex later this month in the name of her father, an Irving driver and longtime baseball umpire who died in a tragic car crash on Route 4 in November 2016.
Here’s what Kylie said about the upcoming Youth Day:
In 2017 it was the members of the Upper Valley that came together to honor Bob Ammel (as everyone knew him) after his untimely death in November of 2016. A scholarship fund and 501(c)3 was established in his name as a way to raise funds and give back to youth for years to come.
Bob was a beloved umpire who traveled all over while also raising and chasing his own kids from field to field and rink to rink.
Last June the first of many annual events brought American Legion Post 22 and Jeffrey Holmes Post 84 together in an unforgettable match up that ended in a full suspense tie.
This year the demanding schedules of both teams did not allow for the much anticipated re-match, so as Bob would have done, they found another way. The Robert E Ammel Jr. Scholarship fund along with each of the Legion teams, Casella Waste Management and Irving energy are happy to announce the 2018 Robert E Ammel Jr. Youth Day. It will be full of Fun, Baseball skills and drills for 12-U, off field activities like radar pitch and dunk tank, great raffle prizes, BBQ lunch, as well as presentation of the first of many annual scholarships, and dedication of the new Robert E. Ammel Jr. Memorial garden at Maxfield Sports Complex.
Here’s a text-only version of the flyer above:
Robert E. Ammel Jr. Memorial Youth Day 2018
“Play Hard. Have Fun.”
Sunday, July 22, 2018
Maxfield Sports Complex
120 Leslie Drive, WRJ VT
Join us to celebrate youth in sports!
- A ceremony dedicating the Memorial Garden at Maxfield Sports Complex
- Raffle with great prizes for all
- Lunch (free for registered 12-U participants)
- Skills and drills fun with members of the Lebanon Post 22 & Jeffrey S. Holmes Post 84 baseball teams
- Lots of off-field fun, too!
- Stay for the Post 84 double-header
- Youth 12 & under are invited to register for a fun baseball skills and drills (bring your glove).
- Register by email: BobAmmelSF@gmail.com
- Or on our Facebook page: Robert E Ammel Jr. Memorial Scholarship
- The first 90 youth registered will get a FREE T-shirt and BBQ lunch